Patek 3700 vs AP Royal Oak 15202 ... Patek Philippe Audemars Piguet Battle of the Jumbos! [The Sequel]
on the case and bezel
- State of zen like calm: Both do not have the seconds hand needed and are better for it.
- Case and bracelet: Both are wonderful! the different finishes and the design coming together perfectly.
- Lume: Tritium has aged nicely on this Nautilus piece but there may be degradation in future with vintage tritium indices and a potential for it to flake off. This is true of all tritium applied lume. The newer lume used on the AP should be a type of superluminova and should maintain for a long time and i believe should not patina with age.
- Price: This comes into the equation. As stated the RO is lows 20s in Sing Dollars and the for the Patek you are looking at high 40s or low 50s. basically costs double the AP and in this reviewer's eyes it's not twice the watch the AP is :)
- Aesthetics: Patek 3700 with it's distinct horizontal lines. these original dials did not have gradient dials as the 5711(darker on the ends of the dial and brighter in the middle) Nice old school font on the Patek. I prefer the AP dial with the date wheel the same color as the dial color.
- Movement: they essentially have the same base movement with just different ways of doing it up and making it their own.
- What I said in my earlier vs battle holds true for the patek 3700 too of course. it will last and last well for a long long time to come.
- And the winner? 15202 for me(please note no right or wrong but for me I just love the Royal Oak more!)
Timetapestry's Assessment [PP 3700/1A vs PP 5711/1A] looking at the differences:
- State of zen like calm: 3700 without the seconds hand wins. Patek just has to drop the seconds hand in the next anniversary piece
- Dial? both are good for different reasons. The older one has a more old school and very matte-ish look and looks the same which way you turn it. the new one is uhm... newer and shinier somewhat and looks different at different angles. it is a gradient dial as noted earlier vs non-gradient on the 3700
- Print: Old school vs new style fonts. the positioning of the text on the dial is lower in the 3700 and is better for it.
- Lume: Tritium point as noted above is the same
- Indices & hands: Slim vs fatter... I prefer slim
- Case: case has been upsized a little in the 5711. 42 to 43mm thereabouts and slightly thicker with the clear back 3 part construction. both are still sleek refined steel watches though and sit very flat on the wrist.
- Price: 5711 is low 30s in SGD and 3700 is in the 40s or low 50s
- And no winner here for me personally... i want a modern Nautilus with more of the 3700 cues (and a positive from the 15202) mashed up together perhaps :) wants:  slimmer indices & hands  lower positioning of the text on the dial  date wheel same color as the dial similar to the 15202  keep the gradient dial of the 5711 and the current case is fine. I like seeing the movement :)  No seconds hand for me
and after it all i am left wondering... how do i afford me one of these? :) anyways if u be keen to pick this piece up it is for sale at gr luxury. let them know you saw it through this blog and get a slightly better price on it ;) cheers, raph